The 2013 Desmond Elliott Prize longlist has been announced today.
- The Marlowe Papers by Ros Barber
- The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence
- The Panopticon by Jenni Fagan
- The Palace of Curiosities by Rosie Garland
- Petite Mort by Beatrice Hitchman
- The Fields by Kevin Maher
- Signs of Life by Anna Raverat
- Seldom Seen by Sarah Ridgard
- Jammy Dodger by Kevin Smith
- The Painted Bridge by Wendy Wallace.
The shortlist will follow on 23 May. From the Desmond Elliott Prize site:
“Launched in 2007, The Desmond Elliott Prize has quickly become established as the premier prize for new fiction… A panel of three judges for the Prize are asked to look for a novel of depth and breadth with a compelling narrative. The work should be vividly written and confidently realised and should contain original and arresting characters. Books from all fiction genres are considered.”